Summer of 2020 saw The Great British Bake Off return to our TV screens and one of the early recipes was this delightfully retro pudding. For some reason we had fallen out of love the with 1980’s upside down pudding despite it being the nations go to pudding. I of course had to bake my own Gluten-free version of an upside down pineapple cake and below is the recipe.
The recipe for the Gluten-free upside down pineapple cake is such a success, I have also adapted it to using other fruits. I will also add my Banana version and peach version soon.
How to serve
To server this cake/ pudding, I normally heat it up and add a scoop of Cornish ice cream. That said, custard (gluten-free of course) goes well with. You can also eat it cold like a cake.
Make sure the pineapple is drained and not soaking wet.
*Links are affiliate and open the products I use on Amazon. To learn what other equipment I recommend, from mixers to blenders, click here.
Gluten-free upside down pineapple cake
- 50 g Unsalted butter (soft)
- 50 g Light soft brown sugar
- 7 Pineapple rings in syrup (Drain the syrup away but keep some back)
- 7 Glace cherries (Whole)
- 100 g Unsalted butter (soft)
- 100 g Golden caster sugar
- 100 g Gluten-free Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Free range eggs
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- For the topping, beat 50g softened butter and 50g light soft brown sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Arrange 7 pineapple rings on top (reserving the syrup for later), then place 7 glacé cherries in the centres of the rings.
- Place 100g softened butter, 100g golden caster sugar, 100g gluten free self-raising flour, 1 tsp gluten free baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 eggs in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the reserved pineapple syrup. Using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency.
- Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s level. Bake for 35 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.